What is VPN?
VPN is an abbreviation for ‘Virtual Private Network’. It is basically a virtual version of the secure and physical network. This physical network includes a web of computers connected together, in order to share files or other data.
Why to set up VPN service?
There are many reasons which compel the individual to use VPN services. Some of the major reasons are described below:
- The first reason is that the VPN can be used to connect to the remote network, in a secure manner, over the Internet. This is very beneficial for many companies, as it enable the employees to have access to files, printers, applications and many other resources available on the office network. VPN basically ensure security of your data.
- Secondly, VPN is very useful for linking together a number of networks securely. Thus, it is used by most businesses, in order to share networked resources, like servers, with multiple other stores or offices.
- VPN can also be used to prevent people from on you, especially when you are using the internet. This is very beneficial for the individuals travelling with a tablet, smartphone, laptop and use public Wi-Fi as well.
- Last but not the least, VPN allows to prevent geoblocking, i.e. regional restrictions, on some websites. This is of specific use for political dissidents and journalists, but you can enjoy it also for some recreational purposes and many more.
How to setup a VPN?
Some steps regarding the usage of VPN are described below:
- The first step is to go to your web browser, and search for hotspotshield.com. The home page will carry two options; one will offer you free VPN service, the other will require you to purchase the subscription. You should go for the free version, no matter how many ads it carries.
- When you are done with the software download, the next step is to run the Hotspot Shield program on your device. Then use the manual mode to activate the Hotspot Shield. This will allow you to turn it on or off as you like.
- Now the Hotspot shield start over and you can visualize a control panel. Your PC will be protected, and you will be able to see the downloaded and the uploaded data on the control panel.
- Now close the control panel, and open the internet browser, like Chrome or Firefox. You can see an advert at the top of the browser, but it can be closed by clicking the cross present in the top right corner.
- In order to test the working, search for browserspy.dk on the web browser, and click on the Geolocation link. This will tell you about your location.
- The IP address of your computer helps in identifying your location. From the list on the left, select your IP address.
- This ensures privacy, as no one can judge your identity and the location as well.
- Now, click the little triangle present on the right of the taskbar. Notification icons will appear, and you need to click the Hotspot Shield. A control panel will appear, and you can choose your location from there.